I made this for the first time when we were camped in a National Park in WA. It had been cold and wet so it was perfect weather for damper. And as it was Easter I thought we needed a chocolate twist to the mix! We try to keep our recipes on the road simple and use only basic ingredients- give this one a whirl………..you might just like it!
3 Cups Self Raising Flour
3/4 cup of Soda Water
20g Butter or margarine (softened)
250 grams of chocolate chips (more if you love your chocolate) or you could use mini solid easter eggs.
- Mix the flour with the soda water to make a cake-like runny batter (make sure you get all the lumps out) – The kids love to help!
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter and mix thoroughly- add soft butter.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin lined with aluminium foil
- You can either put it into a moderate oven till cooked or in a camp oven for around 30 minutes however this time may differ due to the heat of the fire so make sure to check the damper after about 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with some leftover choc-chips and let melt. Slice and serve with a little bit of butter or let cool and serve with some cream or ice cream.
I would like to write that this damper will keep for a few days in an air tight container- but who am I kidding? Our’s never last more than an hour or two! Yummy and so simple. No need for complicated damper recipes.